FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' travele
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:12 am
Annerk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
Originally Posted by mre5765
Agreed. I didn't suggest the FA identify the FAM.

You will accomplish a non-violent way to get the pax whose seat the FAM wants, off the plane.

If their is a pax sitting in the seat the FAM wants, the airline employee is under no obligation to forcibly move that pax. The employee's CEO has said, on national TV, that the employee never has to do that again.

So again: cancel the flight, which might impact the FAM's schedule. Or the FAM or his colleagues go to the pax to evict him.

If I am an employee given the choice between exposing my airline to a lawsuit or disobeying a FAM in the capacity as an airline employee then indeed, I will volunteer to make the flight I am working my last flight and resign.
Bottom line, money talks, and it's a lot cheaper to up the ante and get volunteers than it is to cancel and re-accommodate an entire flight. That's a third grade math word problem that UA failed, and really the bottom line in this entire scenario.