FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chicago Aviation Security Police
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:53 am
vincentharris
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I know, but you have to agree that carrying a firearm in an aircraft is potential dangerous for LEOs, crew and passengers. With so little space around, it's easy for someone to grab the firearm.

BTW: Airport cops abroad carry firearms too.
Anybody who is law enforcement (Local police, county, state, and federal) go through training to make sure in situations that are less than ideal (large public gathering, large fights, close quarters, etc.) to protect their firearm from being taken from their holster.

I think we need to give more credit to law enforcement that they know where their firearm is at all times. If we are talking about its close quarters so if fired its dangerous to utilize a gun then in those above places officers should not carry firearms. In addition Air Marshals should not carry either as the potential for collateral damage to happen would be there.

With all the stories of officers boarding flights for whatever reason (remove someone, trouble on board, etc.) I dont recall (which means I can be wrong and there could be stories i never read) that nobody has pulled their firearm out on board. 99.999999999999999% of officers will only pull a firearm as an absolute LAST resort. Heck in a lot of places/departments just the act of POINTING a firearm at someone requires a report to be filed even if its not used and was only pointed at someone for 1 second.