FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:33 am
Fiordland

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Rdenney
Such as a boarding pass with that seat assigned to that person? That seems pretty convincing to me, at least convincing enough for the officers to realize that they have no standing in the confrontation.

Cops are not law professors, but they are trained to subdue in too many cases, rather than to defuse. In the video linked upthread of the uniformed officers handling the out-of-control woman, they made no attempt to subdue until she was off the plane. In this case, the LEO's were in jeans and ball caps, and tried to do their subduing of the passenger while in his seat. They lacked the patience of those uniformed officers, and the result was injury. But in that case, the woman had violated the terms of the CofC, and the airline had the right to ask her to leave for safety reasons, and the officers had standing to demand it. Dao did not violate the terms of the CofC, and, as United has repeatedly acknowledged, was in his seat legally, having demonstrated no behavior that would give United the right to remove him by force.

This discussion of property rights has been repeated over and over again in this thread, with extensive discussion. I know it's a pain to go back and review it, but I'm not suggesting that one does anything I didn't do.
Are these police officers or united airlines private security?

My impression of police officers is their role is to diffuse problem, investigate crimes etc. If they come on board and the passenger says look I have a valid boarding pass, I paid my fair, this airline is not saying they randomly decided I can't fly. I would expect a police officer to go over to the united manager and say "Look he has a valid argument, why are doing this."

If they are private security working for the airline then they are not going to question United management and remove the person.