FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Design the new process to solve IVDB (a constructive, positive thread)
Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:18 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by htran88
Could be built into the app as an auction. Each person would have the opportunity to place a bid for what they are willing to take as compensation. You could have it for both points and miles or combination. United then has the ability to pick the lowest bidders
I use my phone solely as a phone, and I never carry it on an international itinerary. A process like this would bypass me and others like me, including non-frequent flyers who might not know about or use an app like this.

I was on a shortish oversold DL flight a week ago. There's a checkin option to volunteer for a bump, including specifying the amount you will accept (up to $500, IIRC). The GA asked for volunteers, without mentioning an amount. I was the only one to approach the podium. I was offered $400 for the next available flight, nearly 8 hours later. I countered with $600, but decided against it when I realized it also meant a downgrade from business to middle seat E+.

The next GA announcement included the offer of $600. Three people immediately headed for the podium and the first one took the offer.

One good thing about DL's plan is that when you volunteer as you check in, you are volunteering to consider the offer, you are not bound to accept it. I can't imagine a circumstance where I'd be willing to commit to a set amount without knowing what my replacement flight would be like (departure time and seating), particularly when a downgrade is a very real possibility.