FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 5:18 pm
aoumd

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 24left
The question asked in the thread title is different than the general discussion taking place in the other thread where posters are discussing/debating legalities, validities, customer service and so on.

Is this thread wandering because I think the question asked here is actually a good one and a few posters have offered some thoughts/ideas/answers.

Admittedly, neither UA nor their PR and ad firms have asked anyone for "advice" but in the spirit of FT, it seemed like an interesting question.

There may not be one answer.
There may not be one correct answer.

I would hope however that the posts here stick to the topic and the others comments might be more relevant to the main thread.

IMHO, and thanks.
OP here (back from being at work all the live long day).

Thank you for helping better state my original intent for this thread.

IMHO the legalities and "compliance" debates really belong in the main UA3411 discussion. I figure that at some point, UA would actually start to apologize (that happened today), and address the issues which led to Sunday night's mess (which Oscar now sounds committed to doing).

OK. Then what? Thousands of high-value status frequent fliers and millions of occasional fliers may now be boycotting United. Many won't want to come back simply because United apologized and fixed some of their policies. What proactive customer service steps can United do, on a larger scale, to win back the masses? Or, for that matter, win back those who already left United for other reasons in the past, who UA needs to win back to make up for those who boycotted and will never come back?

And maybe I need to ask this question both for the US market and the Asian market, as UA has more Asian exposure than pretty much any other US-based airline.