FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:24 pm
ysolde
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am a non-corporate, self-paid domestic F international J passenger. I fly mostly AA domestically, though I live on NY's UWS. UA's NYC hub is in EWR, and my experience of EWR has been . . . less than stellar. I'd rather drive farther and fly out of JFK, and that rules out UA.

This latest incident has put me off UA, certainly for the medium term, quite possibly for the long term. I understand that IDB happens. However, several things about this incident disturb me:

1. The fact that the GAs were not aware of the Republic flight crew's need to deadhead until the very last minute. This speaks volumes of the lack of organization and communication from the get-go;

2. The low amount offered for VDB. If the GAs realized no one was willing to VDB for the amount offered, why didn't they offer more? Are they only empowered to offer up to a set amount and not further? Couldn't they have called someone to receive authorization for more? UA's cheapness is costing them much, much more in plummeting stock value, not to mention goodwill;

3. Calling in the police when the gentleman in question refused to IDB. What did they tell the police, that their response was the use of physical force/assault against him? Most disturbing:

4. How did the gentleman end up with a bloodied face? Was he assaulted at his seat? What happened, exactly? It's not clear from any of the videos, but his face was bloodied by the end, and he was hysterical. This was obviously traumatic for him, as well as for all the passengers who witnessed it. It does not instill confidence in UA, and makes me wonder whether the crew, seeing/hearing passengers in distress, did nothing to intervene. Bad form all around, and does nothing to instill confidence in me regarding UA.