FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:45 am
bioyuki

Programs: Free agent, UA 1K, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Being seated on the plane is not officially being boarded. End of story.

One again, prove where UA broke WRITTEN rules. Answer my questions as to how your definition is practical or implied by WRITTEN rules. Stop your misinformation campaign.
You're wrong. No where in the Contract of Carriage does United define the exact meaning of 'boarding' or 'boarded'. Any ambiguity in a contract can be used against the drafter; that's just basic legal principle when it comes to contract law.

The passenger's attorneys will make the case that the commonly accepted definition of boarding is that of having one's BP scanned and entering the plane, not technical definition of the airline's of delivering a pax manifest and closing the door. If I was a betting man, I would bet heavily that a jury would side with the pax on this one, not the airline.

You better believe every airline out there will now update their CoC to include a specific definition of what boarding means.