FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:41 am
hejiranyc

First of all, the United brand has been toxic for a long time - way before leggings-gate and this most recent incident. Now it is downright radioactive. I think it's time to re-brand; perhaps consider bringing back Continental. Given all of the ill will against this brand, I think it will be impossible to reverse the damage.

I think that apologizing profusely for the treatment of the ORD passenger and acknowledging the tone deafness of Oscar's initial response is a given. But United also has to own up to being 110% wrong, address/eliminate this practice of overbooking flights and they need to make their amends to this passenger in a very public, transparent way. I also have to add, as a person of color, that United must acknowledge the questionable optics of singling out the Asian man on the flight, knocking him around like garbage and then dragging him down the aisle like a dead animal; as if Asians were subhumans who were not deserving of decent treatment. This would have NEVER EVER EVER EVER happened to a white woman, let alone a white man. The UA employee who "randomly" chose this passenger obviously (or subconsciously) chose a meek little Asian person who they thought would be least likely to protest or cause a stir. And we all know that booting off a black person would have touched off a sh**storm in the media. Anyway, that calculation backfired. Big time! My initial visceral reaction about the role of race in this incident has been largely validated by others posting on social media. This is really, really bad for UA.

Finally, UA, has to learn a thing or two from the airlines with the loyalist adherents. Southwest, for example. Their focus has to be on the customer and not the blind ambition to generate revenue via nickel-and-dime fees and exploiting every opportunity to gouge the customer. They can also lower mileage redemption rates and increase mileage awards (back to where they were a few years ago, for starters). By acknowledging their wrongdoing and demonstrating to the public how it has learned from its grave mistakes and how it intends to develop innovative, customer-centric services for its passengers, they can save themselves. The continued denial of wrongdoing is not a winning strategy.