FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:33 am
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by trouble747
Perhaps some are offering a bit more sympathy for the passenger, particularly in light of the fact that the officer was apparently violating procedure and the fact that, without even a complete investigation, his employing agency has disowned his actions. Do you know, for a fact, that the passenger was given a clear, legal order, and then failed to comply before force was used?
You are asking me if I know exactly word for word what was said... I don't think anyone knows that, including those that were seated right by him. What is extraordinarily clear is that the pax disobeyed orders / requests from the flight crew, and likewise with the LEO's that came on board. Those that have been interviewed have indicated this much.

So again, it comes down to the fact that this guy did not do what he was told by an authority. Mistake.

I'm sorry if I sound rash, but this is what it comes down to.

Shame on UA for allowing the situation to arise.

Shame on the LEO for using excessive force (if this is the result of the probe)

Shame on the pax for being bull-headed and defiant, and for disobeying orders given by the flight crew and LEO's.

It's a shame that the media has blown this into what it is... sure it deserves attention (focused on toughening up regs on airlines), but it has turned into an anti-authority witch hunt, which is portraying this pax as a saint and LEO's and UA as satan. This is what the media has done best for the last couple years anyway.