FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:21 am
Rdenney

Programs: Air: UA (Gold), AA, WN, DL; Hotel: Hilton (Diamond), plus all the rest
Originally Posted by MDJennings
These are sworn LEO--not rent-a-cop.
Then why weren't they wearing a proper uniform and behaving like professional cops? It seems to me a professional cop would have talked to both sides to determine the situation, seen the man's boarding pass, and told the GA that there was really nothing he could do--the man had not committed any crime. Being there is not a crime, even if they have the contractual right to ask him to leave (which I cannot find in the CofC plain language).

Nothing I have found in a plain reading of the CofC gives them the right to use force to remove a person from a plane who is behaving as this man was.

Lots of rent-a-cops are also sworn officers, but that doesn't make them infallible. Even if the airline accused the man of making a disturbance, which was not at all substantiated by the witness accounts I read in the media, the cops would have a duty to investigate enough facts to have probable cause of a crime (not a civil breech of contract) being committed before they can arrest him.