FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:17 am
jwh212

Programs: UA Gold, AA DL
Originally Posted by leungy18
But this is not a legal matter.

This is a PR and customer service matter, and UA has done pretty badly. The fact that they chose to muscle a paying pax out instead of offering slightly higher compensation shows the disdain UA has with their customers.

On the international front, this only goes to show how U.S. airlines completely disregard service as opposed to ME3 and Asian carriers.
there are two components to this story:
-Was what happened lawful?
-Was what happened what people generally expect from their airline?

I've only been commenting on the first part, I think the second part is pretty obvious that nobody expects this kind of treatment from their airline.

That said, we haven't seen how this guy was acting prior to the cops showing up. I've seen 3 people forcibly removed from flights for being unruly, two of them appeared to be having some kind of mental episode when it happened. One guy just stood up after the door was closed and started yelling "NO!" over and over and wouldnt sit down, the air marshall put him in a full nelson and dragged him off the plane, after an hour back at the gate we took off an left. The third guy I saw get ejected was highly intoxicated, they didnt even leave the gate in that case.