FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Man pulled off of overbooked flight UA3411 (ORD-SDF) 9 Apr 2017 {Settlement reached}
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:54 pm
Joshua

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I remember that for the future. Just in case I need to weasel out of a contract.

The first question is: Who is responsible for allocating more seats than available? The passenger? No, the airline. It earns extra money by doing so. If nobody wants to deplane for $800, they should've raised the offer. At some point, somebody will volunteer.

How would you feel if you booked a full fare Y ticket, that's more than $1000 than the super discounted ticket the next morning? If you agreed to the $800 to fly the next morning, you would effectively make a loss of $200, that you paid too much.

You might disagree with my opinion, but I firmly believe in the binding effect of contracts and the vision that both sides shall perform the contract as agreed upon. Regarding T&Cs/CoCs, I have a very critic opinion when it comes to agreements between professional parties and consumers and particularly if these documents contain unusual clauses that are unnecessarily unfavorable to consumers (given that most customers don't read them).
Anyone can choose to fly on an airline that doesn't overbook as much (the easiest way to do so is to avoid regional airlines who are codeshare partners, who overbook way more than their mainline partner tends to).

Of course nobody wants to do that since the fares would cost more.