FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Travel Association's Daily Getaways 2017
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:41 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's a good deal; it's not too hard to get a 2 day Alamo rental for around $50 during the offseason (sometimes three days during the right times of year). WN has a promo where you get 1200 points (about $17 in airfare) for a two day rental.

So in essence you're paying $25 plus some taxes for a two or three day car rental and $17 in WN fares. (Yes, I know, people turn their noses up at WN. I rather like the flexibility they give me for short coach flight.) Very hard to beat that.
If you have a Discover card (and you should, especially for the first year double bonus), you can use $20 of points any day for a $40 Alamo coupon. So pretty much the same deal, although I don't think you can use multiple coupons with Discover.

I'm also surprised this sold out so fast. It's previously lingered for days. It's a good deal for frequent car renters, but obviously not life-changing.

EDIT:

Does anyone remember how many Alamo certs were sold in years past? It seems very strange that these would have sold out so quickly, when they've previously lingered. I see nothing on the web which suggests thee was any particular enthusiasm or even discussion of this offer. If anything, people seem to be dismissing this year's Daily Getaways promotion as "boring."

Last edited by iahphx; Apr 10, 2017 at 8:04 pm Reason: more