FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which Maui Hotel on points (SPG, Marriott, or Hyatt) for Family Vacation?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:29 pm
Stgermainparis

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pdxflyer12
Hi All,
Looking for a bit of advice on Maui hotels. My fiancee, her sister, and I recently booked tickets for a Maui vacation between 8/31 - 9/7, and we are in need of a hotel to call home for the trip. None of us have ever been to the Island so we are in need of advice on where to stay.

A bit about me:
I am Starwood gold, Marriott gold, and Hilton gold. I have enough Starwood points for 5 of the 7 nights, so I am probably a bit partial to either Starwood or Marriott (also hoping to get an upgrade with a second bedroom).That said, if you think another hotel brand is significantly better than a starwood/Marriott property I am not against booking there and using my Starwood points for other trips I have planned in 2017.

What we are looking for, hotel wise.
I would say direct beach access is a big plus, and being relatively close to shops/restaurants is important as well. I don't think we want to be right downtown, but closes enough where we can walk or take a quick car/bike ride to get where we need to go. Definitively not looking for a secluded resort. Also, I would say we are not looking for a hotel/resort that is super child heavy.

Appreciate the help, let me know if any other information is needed.
I don't think you'll get upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite with Gold, if that's what you're wondering. Also, keep in mind that with Marriotts, if it's a resort, you don't get the free breakfast.

We booked a 2-bedroom condo at the Westin Villas Kaanapali for about $3600 for a week in July. Did it privately so did not use points. We have a second week at the Residence Inn Wailea on points. I called and they were willing to charge me the difference between the studio I booked w/ points (only option on points) and the 2 bedroom, but the cost was more than just booking another room. So I stuck with the studio and will see if any additional options once we arrive.

People like the location of the Sheraton at Kaanapali. If you have a Biz SPG Ax, you could get club access there. And use points for your room.

Keep in mind that I have not been to Maui yet, but I did exhaustively research the hotels there before booking our two weeks.