FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visa expires BECAUSE OF long layover
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:59 pm
YuropFlyer

Originally Posted by moondog
Paying the fine would be a lot easier than flying to HK (assuming you don't have time to get the exit visa).

By the way, this thread title is misleading. The long layover is certainly not the cause of the visa expiration.
It might be very well that they won't even ask for a fine to be paid. Explain politely what happened, that it's your mistake, that the flight is non-changeable (or the costs would be very high) and that they would do you a big favour if they'd allow you an extra day stay on your Chinese Visa.

I've found Chinese officials, if approached with a reasonable request, to be more often than not very cooperative and not being as bureaucratic as you might fear. I once had a visa appliance for a friend with my own one. He had all the documents, I was lacking one invitation letter with it. They're checking it carefully when you hand the documents in. Embassy staff told me that I could either come back next day with my application, or that they'll simply use my friends letter for my application too. They perfectly knew that wasn't exactly 100% legal, but they used common sense - that requirement was recently added, I've had several Chinese visas granted before, all my documents were perfectly fine. No need to make a fuss out of that. My Visa (and my friends, too) was processed without any issue. ^

Plan B, with a flight RT PEK-HKG-PEK and usage of TWOV, would obviously still be possible if you'd get a "not possible" or "that will cost 5000 RMB"..