FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seated next to a really overweight person - what to do?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:04 am
Calliopeflyer

[QUOTE=ft101;28150156]Lets not beat about the bush, we're talking about fat people who have a choice not to be. It's not at all petty or childish to refuse them preferential treatment (or punish the others) for a condition caused by their lack of self discipline. Long legs aren't caused by too many pies.

Sure, they have a choice not to be, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable choice. It's not always caused by too many pies........it could be caused by too little exercise because of a physical impairment. Sure, that person who can't exercise, or maybe even walk more than a few blocks, could eat a third less than the average person would need to in order to maintain an ideal BMI, but is that a fair expectation? (No, all physical impairments are not visible to someone else.) Or simply a person with an efficient metabolism who uses half the fuel of someone else to do the same amount of work, so is expecting them to do twice the exercise or eat half the food just so that you won't think their less entitled to be comfortable a fair expectation?

Maybe it's different with the fat people you know, but I'm fat and I know exactly what I eat and how much I exercise. I rarely ever eat desserts, I rarely ever eat fried foods or creamy sauces (say, 2 or 3 times a year), I go to exercise class regularly and am perfectly capable of walking 5 miles without running out of breath......but I still have a BMI of almost 39. I'm not lazy, I'm not a secret eater, I'm not a dessert-hog, I'm not a fast-food junkie. I live a healthy and moderately active life, and I'm fat.

Nice to meet you.