FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TAP : CPH/OSL to BOS/MIA/JFK $1169 (updated 28 Jun 2017)
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:09 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by nk15
It is 47-50km/30 miles away from the city, 45 min by car. By my calculations it is the third most distant primary airport for a capital city, after NRT and KUL. It is very weird that they built it so far, given how lightly populated the country is, but as they say Norwegians like their space, but this is excessive, imo.
I'm not sure what calculations you use, or the usefulness of measuring capital cities. (Ottawa? Bern?) But since you were talking about time, youve now gone from 1 hour to 45 minutes, and cabined it to "by car." Even though it has one of the fastest most reliable public transport links to the center city, youre using your own metric. But even if we accept 45 minutes as your reference, other cities where the airport is farther from the city, or comparable to, timewise:

London Heathrow (32 km, 45-60 min by public transport)
Paris GDG (25 km, 1 hr by public transport)
New York JFK (26 km, 1.5 hrs by public transport)
Rome FCO (34 km, 1 hr by public transport)
San Francisco SFO (23 km, 50 min by public transport)

perhaps the most relevant comparison?

Stockholm ARN (41 km, 20 min)

(And these were random ones I thought of off the top of my head. And it's not a relevant comparison, but I know from personal experience that WDH is 44 km from Windhoek, the capital of Namibia. TLV is the primary airport for Jerusalem and it's more than 50 km.)

The facts do not support your statement that OSL is unreasonably far from the city that someone has to stay near the airport. The distance by car is comparable to many world cities; the time by public transport is less than most cities with extremely regular service. This deal not for you? Great. Don't come here and give misinformation and tell people they're crazy.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:18 pm