View Single Post
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:37 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Here is the initial review, which was rejected:

A total disgrace

A string of errors and cynical misinformation.

1. My mother's room was entered by an unknown person, late at night whilst she was asleep. Management later attempted to deny that the room intrusion had occurred, by providing the keylock records. Unfortunately they did this for the wrong room. My request for the records of my mother's room has been ignored.

2. On arrival, we were misinformed about the closure of the restaurant, meaning we had to go out to buy food. We later learned (too late), that there was in fact a limited bar meal service, which would have been sufficient.

3. The air-conditioning system in one of the rooms was not working, and switched itself on in the middle of the night, randomly blowing out hot air to heat an already stifling room. We were fobbed off with the excuse that this is in response to the outside temperature. This is clearly untrue, as the air-conditioning in our other room (202) functioned perfectly.

4. Breakfast was completely inedible. The "hot" items were stone cold and semi-congealed, and the cheese was stale. The food had clearly been sitting in the open air for an extended period of time.

On departure, I outlined my concerns to a member of the front desk staff (I was informed that the manager was "in a meeting"), and was credited with the cost of the inedible breakfast, as well as the cost of parking (which most basic hotels provide free anyway).

After the General Manager had failed for 9 days to respond to my e-mail, I escalated the matter to IHG Guest Relations, who credited me with 25,000 rewards points (enough for one night in the most basic room of this badly managed and sub-standard hotel).

The manager later responded with an e-mail full of empty platitudes, but nothing of substance, other than the keylock records for the wrong room.

After 3 weeks, he has still failed to acknowledge the safety and security issue.

This hotel is a total disgrace.

This was rejected for containing personal information, so I removed the room number.

Then it was rejected for containing dollar amounts or rates, and for containing specific references to other hotel brands.

I removed the specific points amount, but the "reference to other hotels" had to be the bit about most hotels offering free parking, so I reworded that.

I don't care about the parking charge. I was happy to pay it. My point was that waiving this is not the massive gesture the staff seemed to think it was.

I'm not even bothered about the compensation. It's the security issue I am most concerned about. They have not acknowledged this, and are being obtuse by providing the records for the wrong room.
I'd reject the review on the grounds of pettiness and hyperbole. If someone did enter your mother's room then that is a very serious breach of security, and deserves an explanation and an apology.

Conflating that with some nonsense about parking charges, air-conditioning and "inedible" food devalues the serious nature of your central issue.

You've now got a
  • a refund of parking charges
  • a refund of the cost of your breakfasts
  • 25000 points

having obfuscated the central issue, you've got well compensated for the ancillary smoke-screen you kicked up, yet you want more ....