FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:37 pm
Widgets

Originally Posted by travels2
The massive delays and cancellations by Delta this week made me almost miss my international connection (also a Delta flight) out of Atlanta. While the in flight crew was sympathetic, none of the Delta gate agents or reservations staff seemed to care. I made the international connection only because I got lucky sprinting from terminal to terminal and with the international leg departing a little late also.

Delta's problems with understaffed crew are not the only reason for their delays. In my case, after passengers finally got a plane and crew and we had all boarded, we learned we were being delayed longer because Delta did not think the flight was full enough to justify their fuel expense. So we waited even longer for Delta to draw new passengers from elsewhere in the airport. Delta seems to want to blame the weather, but these problems are due to Delta's choices.
Did the pilots say that? I'd think they wanted to fill the plane because so many people were stuck in the airport, it could be worth delaying the flight to get more passengers out of there.