FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slummin' it to Spain - BCN, PMI for some Park Hyatt, and MAD
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:02 am
chongl

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
With a good night of rest, we walked just a few minutes to the breakfast area. Starting with the buffet selection, where a local sausage is the specialty.

On to the other buffet offerings. Of course there were also eggs and bacon and potatoes on offer, but I seem to have skipped those items in the photo op

Lots of cured meats, but not quite PH Vienna selection overall

There was something amazingly delicious about the apple pie crumble

We were also able to order off of the menu. I went with the Mallorcan toast as suggested by our server, whereas the wife went with the spicy avocado eggs

With stomachs full, we got changed and called down to the front desk to bring our car out front. About 1-2 km from the resort was Claper des Gegants, which have the remains of a prehistoric site from about 3000 years ago. You make short hike next to one of the golf courses before you arrive at the ruins.

I think this is the right way

Finally some more signage

Just a bunch of rocks, but you can see some dividing walls of the settlement. Pretty cool stuff

The next stop I had on my list was Cuevas de Artà. This was much cooler than I had expected, and pictures simply don't do the cave justice. Countless stalactites and stalagmites line each chamber, and some are given names based on their shapes. We ended up having a private tour since we were the only ones that were there at the particular time slot. I'll just let the pictures do the talking here.

Giant stairway is actually the exit

Looking towards the sea

There is a small locked gate to the left of the giant stairway that is the entrance. This hallway leads to the first main area

And the first chamber in all its glory. We were stunned and motionless as our eyes took it all in

The tallest formation more than 60 feet high, but not quite reaching the ceiling yet. It grows at a rate of approximately 2cm every 100 years

This area was dubbed the Gates of Hell

Some lighting effects

The upside down sheep on the upper left

This one was the mammoth or elephant?

A new formation beginning

Some close ups

One last shot exiting

Surprisingly, we had more places to see on our agenda. The initial thought of just relaxing at the resort went out the window somehow and we were back in the car driving towards another castle

Might as well advertise!

Entrance was just a few Euros

The outer fortification walls

Juxtaposition of past and present

Defensive tower

Water tank

Another vantage of the tower

A bell

More walls

A church was onsite

Church on the left

More of the perimeter