FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Appeal to AA (and attempts) to bring back the SOS / SomeOne Special program [merged]
Old May 10, 2004, 8:33 am
JonNYC
Suspended

Post Appeal to AA (and attempts) to bring back the SOS / SomeOne Special program [merged]

As numerous threads, including a current one, have detailed-- the "S.O.S." program is sorely missed. The reasons have been outlined many times, but to summarize; being able to show one's appreciation-- in a meaningful way-- ON THE SPOT, is a great way to ensure great service from your front-line employees. In a unionized environment, I would argue it's almost imperative to have some kind of incentive program to help your best customers reward your best employees.

The program was eliminated during a period of cut-backs. Now that things are slowly returning to normal, I think this program should be resuscitated. I'm confident almost every one here agrees.

On the issue of just how much this program costs AA-- I would argue that whatever it is, it's worth it. But, if the award structure has to be re-worked, or if safeguards have to be put into place to prevent abuses (like the guy who posted here that he "traded" SOS's for upgrades with a G.A.) that should be relatively easy to accomplish. Maybe less SOS certs issued-- or serial numbers on them (to prevent the same passenger from rewarding the same employee again and again) or maybe even personalizing the certs with individual AAdvantage #'s. Maybe each elite member would get x per year, instead of having them just "float" out in various mailings, etc. Make each cert more valuable but have far less of them issued and I think you'd have less abuse (if any) and each cert issued would have more significance. Since "no favors, no waivers" was introduced, I would argue that there is much, much less potential for abuse in the SOS program anyway.

Whatever it takes, the program should be reintroduced on some level-- even if it has to be "phased in" and during the initial stages, the SOS certs would have little or no actual, redeemable value to the employee-- to be changed later on to something a little more tangible for the employee. So, initially, the program would simply cost the price of printing the certs-- and then later the expense of "funding" the redemption of certs by employees could be phased in.

The program was a fantastic, innovative and even "fun" way of helping us, help you, help us. Please consider bringing it back-- for our benefit and AA's.