FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian starting LGW-DEN/SEA
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:31 am
ratypus

Programs: BAEC Gold
without hijacking the thread, yes 21k for a return J ticket does sound steep, but that's where the airlines make their real money: when the customer simply has to travel then and there...

Similarly, I have occasionally had to pay (well, the company paid) up to 12k for a pretty simple Club World return to places like JFK and ORD...if you really need to be on a specific flight, tomorrow, sometimes with a flexible return date and no Saturday night stay well....you're gonna pay for it!

Anyway - really interesting to see Norwegian really taking the competition to BA on some of these 'secondary' North American routings: I do wonder how much traffic they will lose out on given:

(i) more limited European connections (where BA picks up a lot of traffic for these kind of US cities which have no direct service to Continental Europe); and

(ii) lack of corporate contracts - i.e. a lot of fares to/from Seattle in Club World will be corporate contracts for conferences, Microsoft, Boeing etc.

But given BA's cutbacks in World Traveller, you really have to question why anyone travelling in Y and without status (and no ambition to status) would choose BA. BA may say they are not really after those customers, but in the long run this kind of competition could yet hurt them...