FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:34 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I was at 5/24 and applied for the Chase United Business - although one of the 5 shouldn't be on there. When I applied it immediately went to 30 day review and will notify me by mail. Also, a hard pull seems to have been done even though its a business card.

1. What does 30 day really mean and what result should I expect?

2. Should I call if I'm denied and ask that the store card not be considered in the 5?

3. If denied for 5/24, can I apply for Marriott Business as many DPs and blogs from last year indicated it was one that was still immune from 5/24 limit?
How exactly did you calculate that's you're 5/24?

FYI: What matters is not whether it's a store card, but whether or not it's a bank card. The are store cards issued by banks, and those do count toward 5/24, and there's nothing you can argue about that. Then there are non-bank store cards, and those shouldn't count. So it doesn't matter whether it's a store card, what matters is who issues the card.

The count as done by Chase is to pull your credit report, look for all bank cards that show on there with an "opened on" date in the past 24 months. (Cards which don't show up on your credit report don't count here, no matter why it is they don't show up on your credit report. Non-bank cards shouldn't count.) Then, additionally, Chase may or may not add any Chase cards that don't show up on your credit report (by looking at their own internal data about you).

The two main reasons why cards may not show up on your credit report:

1. Business cards from most banks (but not from all banks) don't show up on your credit report as long as the card is "in good standing". Capital One business cards do show up on credit reports, though.

2. Cards take a month or two to show up on your credit report. So cards you opened very recently may not show up on your credit report yet. (But, of course, if Chase takes weeks to process your application, when is it that they actually pull your report? Perhaps not on the day you applied, perhaps not for a while after that?)

Meanwhile, in a while you can apply for the Marriott Business card whether or not you're denied for 5/24. Though of course you may want to do that sooner if you're denied and later (so you can get the minimum spend done on the United card first) if you're approved.

But the first step is to figure out if you're truly at 5/24. Only a careful analysis of your credit report can do that. You can get your credit report for free at Credit Karma, or (if you haven't gotten it recently) at annualcreditreport.com. Which bureau's credit report you get doesn't matter much for this, as the items you need to look at to evaluate your 5/24 status appear on all 3 bureaus' credit reports. (You should only need one of these reports, not all 3.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 5, 2017 at 3:39 pm