FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetSmarter - discussion and experiences
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:51 am
Sykes

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by harley9
A few more questions please:

1)For flights out of a commercial (non executive) airport like FLL or PBI, do you use the normal terminal or there is a separate entrance?
You'll use the private terminal ("FBO") at that airport. It's dramatically nicer than the public terminal. Most FBOs have free parking, etc.

2) Do you still go through TSA or you basically just walk up to the plane and hop on?
For shuttles on heavy jets they'll have a security guy with a trained dog do a quick look through your bags, but that's it. For most other jets, you just walk on. There's no real TSA, nor is there any search of your person.

3) I assume a bag or two is free to bring along. Is there a policy on at what point they charge you for excess baggage? Golf clubs and surfboards would be free?
Technically your baggage allowance varies depending on the type of plane, but the written terms are one full-sized suitcase plus one personal item for heavy jets, and on smaller planes the suitcase must be carry-on sized. Having said that, I don't know of anyone that has been charged for excess luggage--I know of several people that have traveled with golf bags and skis. It's generally more of a capacity issue than it is a fee issue--if they run out of space, you're SOL. Your best bet is just to contact the JetShuttle team ahead of time to make sure you'll be ok. The biggest restrictions are on the helicopter transfers.

4) If a shuttle only has one or two persons reserved, will they still definitely run the flight or do they cancel low turnout shuttles?
Generally, yes, they will operate the shuttle. I've been on a few mostly-empty shuttles. As a matter of fact, as a public charter operator, unless they cancel more than 10 days before departure they are legally obligated to operate the flight if it is physically possible to do so (ref: 14 CFR 380.12). They get a pass for bad weather or mechanical failure, but they will generally make alternate arrangements on if a shuttle flight is not possible.

5) How often are new shuttle routes introduced? Removed?
They were added pretty regularly in 2016, but they seem to have slowed down adding them a bit as of late. Every once in a while one disappears (San Diego <-> LA specifically comes to mind), but they have lately been adding them more than removing them. While I have no specific basis for this, I wouldn't be surprised if they cull a few routes over the next year to optimize their spend, so I wouldn't buy if you only have a single route in mind (but instead are interested in a variety of the offerings). What does change more often are the timings/frequencies of the routes.

6) So the $5k membership includes all shuttles below 3 hours except NY to FL which is excluded. I came up with this list of all such "free" shuttles. Does this sound right?
I didn't check your list, but it looked about right. SF<->Vegas was missing. Last year they also ran seasonal NYC<->Hamptons helicopter shuttles during the summer ... they seem to be suggesting they'll come back, and while they're definitely under 3 hours, I'm not sure if they would be included.

Last edited by Sykes; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:58 am