FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Downgrade rights?
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:18 am
memesweeper

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pauldb
I'm surprised that BA's Conditions of Carriage make so little reference to IDB/downgrades, given they are such common industry practices. The only reference to IDB is:

3c7) We will accept each flight coupon in your ticket for transportation in the class of service on the date and flight for which you have a reservation unless you fail to meet the check-in and boarding requirements in clause 6 or we have to deny you boarding because of overbooking or we exercise our right to refuse to carry you under clause 5d3 or 7.

As I read those conditions, if you present yourself ready and suitable to fly, BA must carry you in the class you booked or exercise their one and only option in the case of overbooking: IDB not downgrading. Of course there's nothing to stop them negotiating with you a downgrade but I can't see how they can compel you.
Thank you — I think this is the closest we have to an answer to the @thefuzzylogic ’s question. If you are faced with a downgrade, you can decline it, leaving BA no option but to deny you boarding. IDB carries reasonable compensation.