FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling to Cologne
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:05 am
djohannw

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nanyang
Went to CGN for a wedding last year.

Originally booked on TG to MUC and then flt MUC-CGN. Would have preferred this option. However, had to go to Kuwait - so ended up booking Kuwait Airways to FRA.

Took the train - not a pleasant experience on a Friday afternoon. People everywhere, and some passenger-of-size occupied my seat - did not have the heart to ask her to move. Also, there was nowhere to put my luggage, so ended up not having a seat at all for the short train journey. The positive aspect was that the train ride is fairly short indeed.

The train station in Cologne is somewhat unpleasant, but finding a taxi was not a huge issue.

I would vote for the option of flying MUC-CGN.
Different animal. Airrail has decicated seats on the train that will be vacated by the attendant if occupied and porter service handling the luggage on the train. So this is somewhat different from a normal train-ticket bought separately even with a reserved seat...

Not sure what is unpleasant about Cologne's train station - it is just that, a train station with all it's pros and cons, but I certainly have seen worse ones around the world...

Greetings - Dirk