FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hertz from Hades - Grand Cayman (Now Under New Management)
Old Apr 3, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had a positive experience with Hertz in GCM this past week.

I did a price search on the Hertz Cayman site linked above and the FlyerTalk promo code still works. The price came out a few dollars less than using the regular Hertz site so I booked at the Cayman site.

The Cayman site isn't linked to the Hertz reservation system so your Gold Plus information isn't available and you have to enter in your credit card and contact information. I found it annoying that I didn't get an email confirmation of my reservation. I didn't want to chance showing up without a emailed confirmed reservation so I print screened the confirmation screen showing my confirmation number and rate details and made a back-up reservation at the regular Hertz site. The Hertz Cayman website also has a link to Mr. Kellick's email but he didn't respond to the query I sent to him.

The location is across the street from the terminal along with the other companies (Budget, Avis, Andy's, etc.). Hertz Cayman is a "System Licensee" so there are no Gold Plus benefits or points accrual. The only reason you will book with Hertz Cayman is for the price, fleet, and customer service. I didn't know this at the time so I didn't shop around that much. As far as the car goes, I rented the cheapest car available, an A class Kia Picanto 5 door city car and that's what I was offered (no PC upgrade). For the two of us with carry on luggage, it worked just fine with the rear seats folded down. I saw some larger Kia and Hyundai sedans (the largest being an Optima) so it appears the fleet list on the website is largely accurate.

The staff was very friendly and there wasn't much of a wait. My Cayman reservation was in the system (along with my regular Hertz one) and since it was cheaper, we used that one. However, the rate didn't exactly match my confirmation so having a screen shot helped here as I had them adjust the rate accordingly which they did without issue. The rep explained the LDL ($19.95 per day) and LIS ($12.95 per day) options to me and I decided to choose the latter (I didn't take the time to see if my policy and credit card would have any coverage).

The car itself was in decent shape and clean. The tiny engine was fine for the local roads; there were a few short stretches of the highway where I was up to around 50-60 mph but for the most part, it was leisurely putting around. There's a lot of gas stations near the airport (gas was $4.20 a gallon for regular) so it's easy to fuel up before returning the car and the short walk across the street to the terminal. Checking the car back in was easy and I did get an emailed copy of my receipt.

Originally Posted by Mark Kellick
We have 3 locations on the island: The airport locatoin, a satellite office on Seven Mile Beach, and a location inside the Ritz Carlton.
Updating the above to note there is now a fourth location at the Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa near the top of Seven Mile Beach.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 4, 2017 at 6:02 am