FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which card(s) to use for high spend or large purchases? [Consolidated]
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:37 pm
tattedpassport

Newbie: $$$ to spend, Credit Card/Points Help

I am having a medical procedure done next week. I need to pay the full bill before I have the procedure done (don't ask, it's a long story). The procedure is $18,000. I have the cash but I was looking to maximize my points. My plan...apply for cards, put procedure on multiple cards, pay cards with cash, get points.

My cards:
1) CSR: Have had for 6 months so I've already met the spend and gotten the bonus points.
2) CSP: Have had for a year, so have already received bonus points for this one too.
3) Jetblue: Just received yesterday. $5k credit limit, no annual fee.
4) SPG Amex: Just received yesterday. $1k credit limit, 0 AF for 1st yr.
5) Hyatt: Just received yesterday. $5k credit limit, $75 AF

I live in Atlanta. JetBlue just moved in last week so I had planned to put $1k on the Jetblue card & get my bonus points. But considering it doesn't have an AF, I don't have to.
The $1k credit limit with Amex bothered me but when I spoke to Amex they said I could pay them upfront and I wouldn't have to worry about the CL. For example, if I was going to buy something to $2k, I would allow them to take an additional $1k from bank account and I would then have a $2k CL ($1k original CL + $1k deposit). Given that option, it changes things. What would you do to spend the $18k?
- $15k to SPG, $2k Hyatt, $1k Jetblue?
- $5k SPG, 5K CSP, 5k Hyatt, $3k Jetblue?
- $18k CSR?

The hospital has to be paid by in 6 days so there is no time to apply for another card.

I need help ASAP.