FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Personal View
Thread: A Personal View
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:42 am
Ned1968

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You are pencilling in a utopia of mutual respect and consideration. Many places, virtual and horribly real, would be better if people would just get along nicely. But advocating such a state of affairs is about as effective on the internet as it is in the middle-east.
I agree that the position in the middle-east is beyond moderation, but the fora here have both rules and moderators (who do a great job). Interesting threads are regularly closed due to people who don't care about "getting along nicely", which is to everyone's detriment.

Appealing to posters' better nature is fine if you have time on your hands, but it's destined to be an exercise in frustration. You won't change behaviour by expressing well-meaning concern.
Sounds like a challenge

Where a poster feels damaged, hurt, victimised and distressed the only sensible advice is to withdraw from the conflict. In withdrawal the victim might like to reflect on why he/she quite uniquely attracted hostility - but that analysis is for another day.
Can't agree with this one either. I'm sure you're not seriously suggesting that the "victim" should walk away. That would be a charter for boorish behaviour. Hypothetically, if someone with mental health issues gets a hard time on here, should they be bullied into leaving? Should they withdraw from every interaction that ends in being hassled? Where should they withdraw to? Complete isolation? I'm sure you wouldn't treat someone in that position in the same way face to face (if only because it is illegal), so advocating it online would be most insensitive.