FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Personal View
Thread: A Personal View
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:03 am
elitetraveler
Suspended

Originally Posted by navylad
Whilst I appreciate the view points of those who feel that people are affected by what other people say to them either in a thread or by direct message should simple grow a thicker skin, this really reflect poorly on them and I am sorry, I really don't buy the excuse of this being an anonymous internet forum as a reason that people should be allowed to hurt the feelings of others; if they need to hide by an anonymity of an internet forum to cyber bully, I have little respect for their poor character, which is likely not the best in the real world either. The other incredible important factor with anonymity is that you often don't know what else is going on in that persons life, a quick snide comment may not seam that bad taken at face value, but this could have a detrimental effect on the individual.

I did take some time away from this forum, but thankfully I did return, I am stronger for it and often laugh to myself in my head when idiots try and make further personal attacks that someone is so insecure in themselves that they feel the need to do so. I am glad I did return because, whilst this forum does contain a few rotten apple, there are far more genuinely lovely people who share they experiences and advice to enrich the lives of others and I feel privileged to listen to genuine views of others irrespective of whether I disagree with them.

I have a greater awareness now, then when I joined this forum, of the way in which posts project and trust that should anyone ever feel that I cross their own personal line, they would tell me and I would be able to respect that. I hope others will be able to do the same.
I've never sent or received any private messages continuing the debate about FT threads. I really don't care that deeply.

I'm sure many of us like to think we have a strong moral compass, so hopefully that is plenty of high ground available in this forum.

I know there is non-productive behavior from a small group who support BA regardless, as clearly you and others feel some of those who think BA is going down the toilet do the same.

It's probably worth noting that quite a bit of the bad behavior IMO seems to occur in threads where somebody comes to complain about some element of BA and they are "attacked" in a multitude of ways, both aggressively and passively. Usually, there are several FTers who join complaint threads simply to say they don't want them in the forum - that they should be combined into a single thread, etc. I think there used to be some type of saying, if you don't like it, don't bother reading it, and don't post in it.

In my recent posting about Glass Door, even though I took the time to research how BA compared to a multitude of airlines as I personally wanted to see the broadest possible view, I thought it was interesting to see while all companies would be open to the same vagaries, there were a few posters who insinuated somehow BA's standing across all of the airlines was manipulated downwards or BA alone was the victim of some type of special circumstances. Others tried to vilanize GlassDoor.

On the flip side, I don't recall ever seeing anyone post in a positive experience thread OP shouldn't have posted. I do recall quite a few "positive experience" threads turned out to be more about having a great crew that made up for BA shortcomings in other areas. Perhaps you and others see things differently, although we both think we are fair-minded.

If you received abusive private message, I hope you reported that to the Mods. I don't think simply because it is a private message that entails any rights to be abusive.

Last edited by elitetraveler; Mar 31, 2017 at 3:52 am