FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Premium Cabin Cost Cutting
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:39 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by WWads
Interested to hear what people think about this. As I've suggested, I'd be happy with a cheese plate with grapes or something on many of the shorter meal flights (900-1000 miles generally). I would imagine that this would be much less costly than the current (often terrible) meals that these routes see.

For flights over 1400 miles, the potential savings could be used to provide higher quality meals, the sort that one would expect on a longer flight in FC. This would reduce the number of flights that a potential pre-order system would have to handle, and would hopefully help create some sort of standardization across the domestic network. It's ridiculous that one flight might have amazing choices, while the next has two fish dishes, or that awful mayonnaise "turkey" salad.
I'd certainly be happy with a nice cheese plate for flights under 4 hours or so - even better if they add some charcuterie to it, as well. DL would of course still need to load options for folks who can't have dairy or don't prefer such a snack...but it seems like it'd be easy enough to have the other option be a veggie snack plate or something. I know they don't want to cater even more flights, but I'd very much prefer something like this vs. the snack basket on the 2.5ish-hour, 700-800 mile flights I usually find myself on.

While I enjoy a good in-flight meal when one is necessary, I guess for shorter flights I never really find myself in the situation where I can't get a better meal on the ground before or after the flight. Yes, sometimes I'm running straight to/from a meeting, but if that's the case, I really just need a snack to hold me over, not a full meal.