FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Rental Cars: Do I need a Reservation?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:17 pm
CKA1

Premium Rental Cars: Do I need a Reservation?

Hi,

I have never actually rented a car on my own on a pleasure trip. I've had my company rent them and I've had them provided to me after a car crash, but I have a question concerning premium car rentals. When I travel on company business, it's always a race to spend the absolute minimum.

I will be going to Vancouver Island for a family wedding and have four nights in Victoria. Can I just walk up to a car rental place and rent either a convertible (most local reservation sites list a Ford Mustang as an option) or a fancy (ie BMW or Lincoln) sedan without a prior reservation? The area is prone to rain, so I don't want to reserve a convertible and drive around with the top up. That kind of would defeat the point of having a convertible.

What I was thinking was to rent a car and see a bit of the island as I am showing up three nights early and would like to get out there and have some fun. I have always wanted to drive around the island in a fancy car. At home I drive a Hyundai (an older model), and it would be fun to zip around in a car I can't afford to buy.

What I'm specifically wondering is, do I need a reservation to get a premium rental? I'm open to renting at the airport or downtown. I assume the airport would have better selection. Should I phone the rental lot from the airport once I know the weather report?

Renting a Grand Cherokee has no appeal to me. I used to own one, so an SUV (except maybe a Lincoln) doesn't seem too exciting.

Chuck