FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JetSmarter - discussion and experiences
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:26 pm
sfo2bos

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dordal
I thought the article had some reasonable points, but in some ways felt like a hit piece on JS. The way that Collin et. al. did the research, including via this FT thread, sort of lends some credence toward that. The thing that I don't think the authors did a good job of explaining is that almost all startups go through business model changes, and JS is no exception. Anybody who has enough money to join is (hopefully) business savvy enough to know that they're losing money on the current model, so it either changes or they go out of business. For the most part, changes happen when you renew (e.g. helicopters) and sometimes not even then ( e.g. old smart members aren't being forced to pay for > 3hr shuttles when they renew ). Occasionally, changes happen mid-stream; e.g. food no longer being free.
Definitely do not disagree, and I am sure some things are taken out of context. I guess my point is they could use some executive coaching. Though, plenty of other high profile startups have MUCH worse (real) issues and messaging at the top.