FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:49 pm
Halo117

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by spin88
Not to pick on you, but you (and others) are making some big, big leaps. The policy bans "form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses"

That is not cotton stretchy pants or "sweatpants". Nor is it the "leggins" my 10 year old wears: http://athleta.gap.com/webcontent/00...cn12578506.jpg

Perhaps the young/teen pass-holders were wearing torn/ripped lycra that was very revealing, but it is hard for me to get worked up over "leggins" which is all that any of us know. And for United to make its stand for propriety at "leggings" was really stupid. @:-)
I can see you're getting very "legal" with the way folks here are choosing to see what Lycra/Spandex is. Lycra and Spandex are actually brand names.

Spandex, Lycra or elastane is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is stronger and more durable than natural rubber. It is a polyester-polyurethane copolymer that was invented in 1958 by chemist Joseph Shivers at DuPont's Benger Laboratory in Waynesboro, Virginia. (Spandex Wikipedia)

Modern leggings are typically made from a blend of lycra (also known as spandex), with cotton, polyester, or nylon, but can also be made from wool, silk, and other materials. Leggings are available in a multitude of colors and decorative designs. (leggings Wikipedia)

So unless you expect that the rules only apply to the called out name brands Lyrca/Spandex, sweatpants and leggings can be made of the those materials.....cheers.