FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:35 pm
Peter T.

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by singlebackpack
This analogy does not hold water.

All bookings (even the so-called "fraudulent" ones) are paid with very real $$ and very real points (not "any coin"), at the exact price Southwest *chooses* to offer them for sale (in a public marketplace called a "website") when I book them.

When I ride the subway I pay $2, I can take the 1:00 train or the 1:10 train. Sometimes my "intent" on which train to take isn't certain until the last minute. It's my choice and I don't have to worry about massive price fluctuations or change fees. I hop on the train and pay my fair share ($2).

This used to more-or-less be the case on Southwest as well. On many Amtrak regional/commuter lines, it still is the case (a ticket is good for any train within 365 days). Does Amtrak consider this "fraud" in any way??...no, of course not.

The SWA rules have changed. The CoC was always there, but never enforced. Thus the new enforcement is, in fact, a defacto rule change. Their right, and yes, maybe we were "spoiled", but it is also my right to voice concern about a change that doesn't benefit consumers or the flying public.

What's the next anti-consumer change SWA will make?...
Actually this better enforcement of a long established rule DOES benefit other Southwest Airlines customers: customers who were not able to book (or book at a lower fare) because other passengers were hoarding seats — especially low cost seats — on multiple flights.

Most people don't engage in this type of overbooking, so this better enforcement of this rule will benefit more WN customers than it will hurt.