FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Eurowings: upgrade booking class BASIC->SMART?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:19 am
flaii

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
That is weird. I just got PQM, PQS and Base Miles on two BASIC fares on Eurowings/Germanwings. Fare class was X.
Interesting. I wonder if maybe United just has a list of fares that earn miles and PQM, and they list them in their chart under different "Classes of service," but they don't exactly line up with the fare concepts that Eurowings markets.

I'm also beginning to suspect that Eurowings is kind of like Lufthansa, in that you can find that Lufthansa sells Light, Classic, and Flex fares all with the same fare class. I've come across this frustration before where a flight I wanted was "K" class (not eligible for UA miles), and I would gladly pay some more for a higher fare class to earn PQMs, but I simply can't change the fare class by paying more (except buying business class). At least Lufthansa makes it transparent on their website with the fare class display as you are searching for flights, while with Eurowings I don't know of a way to find the fare class prior to booking. See attached screenshot.

So maybe on warakorn's flight, Basic and Smart fares were both X class, which is mileage-earning in MileagePlus. I don't know for sure, of course, just speculating.
Attached Images