FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone use a big smartphone?
View Single Post
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:02 pm
Letitride3c

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Big is a relative term, went from a Nexus 5 (4.95" screen) to a Nexus 6 briefly (6" screen) before selling N5 to offset upgrade to Nexus 5X (5.2" screen) - which has been faithful for 15 months & loving it - hold it comfortable with the TPU case/stand in one hand while doing other things ... a bit difficult even for big hands with 6" screen. Talk a walk into your favorite store & play with them a bit, Best Buy has a good variety - see if they are comfortable to hold & use, most of us put on a (slim) case so take that into consideration.

With the N5X, I can slip it in a pocket or pants without worrying too much, and it's fine with a vertical or horizontal belt pouch, all one-handed. Mrs. L took over my 6" phablet and she loves the jumbo screen, and most of the time in her purse - sometimes in her outwear's big pocket. The other factor to consider is battery life, both standby & talk time - road warriors don't always have quick access to a charging source (some of us do ... but). Hers tweaked to last a full 14 to 18 hours day under normal usage - gaming will obviously kill it sooner for obvious reasons. Big or jumbo smartphone are battery killers, for all practical purposes.

No plans to replace or upgrade my N5X in the near future and even if so, likely to stay around 5.5" - screen as overall size are practical for pocket & belt carry, and quick dash mounting without resorting to fancy mounts for GPS/navigation in rental cars, etc. With a stylus and compact BT keyboard, can still take care of emails.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Mar 23, 2017 at 6:44 pm