FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 am
Global321

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
According to one of the ME3, if your journey is to the US then you will be asked to check in your electronics at the first port of departure. So if you are flying KUL-DXB-JFK then your electronics will have to be checked in at KUL....
No chance I surrender my laptop at my origin. I have an 7-hour flight to DOH and 9 hours on the ground before flying to the USA. (We are not checking bags.)

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
That's sort of what I expected, but considering the hundreds(?) of outstations, I imagine security and enforcement will be spotty at best.
Agreed about the outstations. Why would an airport in Asia bother to verify a) if you have a connecting flight and b) if your second flight goes to the USA and 3) if you are connecting through a banned airport. They simply have no incentive to do so.

I dont think so. In my experience the minute they figure out you are flying to the US, they start hassling you for various things starting from passport/visa, your US address, baggage limits etc. They will just add this to the TOS and force you to check in everything at that location so that you cannot figure out who stole your stuff
How would this work?

If they can through check in you for your flight to US after doing the necessary document check then they can also force you to check in your electronics irrespective of airline and transit (provided they are on teh same itinerary)

How would this work? I am not checking bags. Is the check-in agent going to search my bags? Never seen that before.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I don't see any way around gate screening. Otherwise, what is to prevent you to pick up a laptop in the transit area from someone who isn't traveling to the US and was allowed through with it?
Good point.