FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AWAY brand luggage
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:51 pm
ddavault

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hawaiian, Alaska
I just received 2 of the medium cases. I'm replacing 2 Tumi Vapor Medium cases that were 6 years old. The single wheel design on the Tumi just wasn't holding up and was difficult to maneuver on carpeting. I did check with Tumi about a retrofit but got nowhere.

I did try 2 different sizes of the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, but didn't like the sizing and combined with the sticker prices I returned them.

I really loved the Tumi, we always said the zippered side was a magic compartment, because we could put a lot of stuff in there and it would always close.

On the Away case it has a compression compartment and I swear on my first trip I was able to get even more into that compartment than the Tumi.

The case is very light and I'm curious to see how it holds up. But the warranty sounds great as long as they stay in business. The wheels worked very well and I like the placement of the TSA zipper lock on the top of the case. Not sure I'll ever use the included laundry bag, but it snaps out.

The wheels have a lower profile, so when you look at the measurements the actual case itself is larger than others with the same measurement, just because more of the dimension is actual case and not wheel clearance, if that makes sense.

The one thing I'm not crazy about is the "slop" in the zipper when it's closed up. It looks like it's a wider zipper and so the 2 sides move around a bit compared to the Tumi. I'm in the habit of using a locking strap anyway so it's just a minor annoyance.

At this price point, $275, I'm very happy so far.