FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Dresden {DEU}
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:30 am
Foltan

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Hilton Dresden Review

As there's a few slightly odd responses on this thread, just though I'd give my review of a one-night stay last week, as a UK-based diamond member:

Stayed on a Sunday night and booked the cheapest twin room for a very good rate ~£70. It's usually a fair bit more expensive.

Pre-upgraded to an Exec room so I checked in on the app and chose a room with a view of the FrauenKirche - highly recommended as it's an impressive building to have directly outside your window.

We were driving and so took the car directly into the underground carpark - you could also unload by the front door if you wish, and I'd recommend that if you have large suitcases as there's a couple of steps to the parking lift.
The train station isn't too far away and there's plenty of taxis around to ferry you.

Staff were friendly, check-in and out very easy, nice welcome letter, bottles of water in the room, fruit, 'guide' for the Exec lounge times. The room is a bit 90's and not huge but perfectly clean and pleasant with a modern TV.

The Exec lounge is available all day for coffees and water etc., and in the evening they had some tasty German sparkling wine plus all the usual beers and wines - possibly spirits too, I didn't notice sorry. A nice selection of meats, cheeses, salads, bread and a couple of hot dishes (goulash and a pasta/dumpling). As it was a Sunday, there was plenty on offer for the 10-15 people knocking around - I suppose it might be more of a scrum on busier nights.

The hotel is right in the centre of town and perfectly located for a sightseeing wander around the cobbled streets. The architecture in Dresden in truly breathtaking and at night everything is dimly lit and extremely atmospheric. There's a number of nice restaurants in the square outside the hotel so you can take your pick, and mix it up if you're there for a number of days.

Breakfast was the usual Hilton affair, perfectly decent although somewhat busy. They also provide the standard Exec lounge offering if you want a quieter and lighter start.

Didn't have time to use the fitness centre I'm afraid so can't give any feedback on the pool, sauna etc.

In summary, I highly recommend the Hilton Dresden, and Dresden in general, if you want a little city break in this area for a day or two. The only reason I can understand any criticism towards the hotel would be if people had been paying very high prices when they stayed, but if you get a decent sale price then I think you'll enjoy it.