FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:58 pm
diver858

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by hurnik
I'm new to this, so here goes:

So far it seems that every Business/first milesaver award that I *can* find with AA and partners is on mixed cabin. Specifically looking from East coast to Hawaii, as usual, the longest part (LAX to HNL for example) is economy. Is this normal for AA?

So you have to like punish yourself and search through the calendar and then check every single flight (their search options don't seem to get it when you say "business class").

Granted, I'm looking at like Feb 2018, so maybe it's too far in advance.
Premium cabin saver awards on AA metal are tough, unicorns to Hawaii. Also keep in mind that most flights to Hawaii from the mainland are on narrowbody aircraft, with mostly domestic premium cabins (no lie-flat seats). AA has, for the most part, delegated its saver award redemption to AS, so you are better off focusing your search on connections through AS Hawaii gateways - PDX, SAN, SEA, SJC.

Invest in an Expert Flyer account. AA revenue management screws up every now and then, releases a bunch of premium saver awards, EF will let you know if/when something of interest becomes available.