FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Ambassador vs Platinum Premier
View Single Post
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:22 pm
mrvic43

Programs: American Airlines, United, Delta, Marriott, Hilton, Hertz.. and MORE
Marriott Ambassador vs Platinum Premier

I had been Platinum Premier for the last few years until this year. When I log on to Marriott, status shows as simply Platinum. However, I had received notice that I now have Ambassador Program status.

I was wondering exactly what had happened. Was I downgraded? Was I upgraded?

I called the Ambassador line and spoke with a representative. She portrayed it as an upgrade. In fact, I received a follow-up email from her:

"Hello Mr. [ ],

It was a pleasure speaking with you this afternoon!

This is to follow up our telephone conversation wherein you asked me if your status had been downgraded.

As I stated, the Marriott Rewards Ambassador program has replaced the Concierge Elite program by name only and the services and benefits are the same!

As to your question regarding the Platinum Premier status wanting to know if you had been downgraded in status, please be aware that a Platinum Premier status is a guest who is the top 3% of most engaged guests. Therefore, since you are a Marriott Rewards Ambassador member that status is the top 1% of the most engaged members. There are only 5,000 Marriott Rewards Ambassador members in our entire company and you have achieved the highest status with Marriott!

If I may be of further assistance, please let me know. I look forward to working with you in the future!

Regards,

[Marriott Ambassador]"

Fast-forward a couple of days later, and I was interested in signing up for the complimentary upgrade to Gold on United afforded Platinum Premier members. I tried signing up, but the website rejected me and stated the member number was not a premier number. I called the Ambassador line and explained the issue. After a considerable time on hold while the representative checked with the Rewards people, she informed me that, Ambassador or not, I had been downgraded to my Lifetime Platinum status (so much for having "achieved the highest status with Marriott!").

All well and good, I suppose (I had snuck off last year to renew my Hilton Diamond status, after all), but a little misleading, to say the least!

Anyone else granted the Ambassador Program status with a downgrade?