FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport legal name change (citizenship change)
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:11 am
hh1021

Passport legal name change (citizenship change)

Has anyone had experience getting a plane ticket name change because their citizenship (and legal name) changed?

My boyfriend and I would like to plan a trip to Europe in the fall (so I've been keeping my eyes peeled for good deals), but it's possible that he will become a US citizen in August. That also means that his legal name could change before the trip, because he requested it on his application, and I think he would have to get a new US passport to travel internationally as a US citizen--so holding off on the new passport until after the trip would not be an option (he would maybe be better off rescheduling his oath ceremony if it came down to it).

Is this type of plane ticket name change free of charge? Or does it really just depend on the airline? Should we expect this to be a big issue? Any recommendations?

I'm not sure that it's relevant here, but his country of origin does not pose any other risks/threats to international travel under the Trump administration.

Thanks in advance!