FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help with tour Santiago to Valparaiso
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:19 pm
Antonio8069

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
answering both queries

I just spent two nights in Valpo & I agree completely with other FTs. Do NOT plan to stay in Valparaiso. It is dirty, dangerous and overrun with stray dogs. Also, I suggest you google fire in Valparaiso and you will see # media reports about a fire in January which torched 100 + houses. Guess what? It happened again last night.

Vina is paradise compared to Valpo. Clean, lots of gardens & flowers. What is redeeming about Valpo?
- San Sebastiana - Neruda Foundation home & garden;
- murals - can easily be seen on a day trip;
- trolleys - 270 pesos per ride;
Try to avoid the port when there is a cruise ship in the harbor. If you don't manage to do so, you will see what I mean.
Another ad for Vina. Stay there and you can explore up the coast to Con Con. That is where Chileans go to surf and its very pretty. The bus is the way to travel = 340 pesos.

The Valpo Metro is very quick and convenient, but it only has a few stops between the Port and Vina Del Mar (BTW, one of the stops is Recreo, which is pretty close to the Sheraton). The other downside to the metro is you have to fork out 2000 pesos as a deposit for a rechargeable fare card.

To come to Goldarak's query, the Turbus from Santiago to Valpo return costs 8000 pesos (return anytime). Travel time is 1.5 hours. To reach bus station, take the Airport Bus from SCL to Los Heroes Metro. Buy a transit (BiPs) card and go 8 stops to Pajaritos station, and its adjacent to the metro station.