FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bidding for biz seats
View Single Post
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:33 am
miikka

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
It was partially a test, I have never been successful with my reasonable bids multiple times (each time it has been a bit on the high side but not maximum) and I wanted to see if it ever goes through. Since it is not binding (bid amount is binding if accepted) then I would be able to back out still if I would have been accepted.

And once again, I didn't pass the acceptance so I don't consider it very good tool for future cases where I would like to look for an upgrade. In the past (no experience for couple of years), similar system with SK worked pretty well, there I have had rather high success rate and with reasonable charges (plus they gave points per the upgraded class).

And yes, there is corporate policy of course which is keeping me back in the bus. Maybe I should have just waitlisted myself also for this flight (like one another which has been in the waitlist for past 3 weeks) and see if I get lucky that way. I have been a bit puzzling on the points side because there might be a need for those during summer.

TA approach is of course valid and good point, no experience how it in practice would work in my corporate TA environment. Sometimes they are rather clueless and sometimes not.

Edit: I just browsed AY website for J ticket for the route and correct dates. Business Saver is no longer available and Business is promoted as "2 seats left". Return flight would have Business Saver but priced together would hike the pricing to 4500 EUR. Explains why they are not going to allow upgrades to Business class this time.

It just puzzles me why it was open in the first place - maybe it is triggered automatically and only the actual decision is done by human. Maybe there was a short window when AY believed that they won't sell the Business class full and it got opened but the opportunity vanished rapidly.

Last edited by miikka; Mar 13, 2017 at 1:40 am