FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using JAL points on EK
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:40 pm
sowhatwegetdrunk

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
The JMB program requires you to be related to the award recipient. So in the case of a spouse where the last name is not shared, they may ask for proof. This happened to me as well where I was booking an award for me and my fiancee and they would not let me book the award for her unless we were married - it didn't matter that we would be married when we flew as it was part of a honeymoon. It was a good thing I asked before transferring SPG points to just my own JMB account. Luckily SPG allows you to transfer your points to someone else's account living in the same household. I was able to transfer points from SPG to SPG and then to our individual JMB accounts for separate award redemptions.

Downside is two PNR's and a possible loss of SPG's 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points redeemed. I transferred 30,000 points each - which resulted in 10,000 bonus points total as opposed to 15,000 bonus points if I had transferred the 60,000 points from one account.
At what point do the require proof? My parents name are in my passport.. I could show that.. But will they take extra time to verify? Or can it be done instantly when i call to book the EK award..?

Or is there a verification process that can be done in advance like Korean Air?