FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amsterdam for one day in May ! Recommendations
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:08 pm
SKYEG

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by JBord
Obviously it depends on what you want to see and do. But I would definitely stay in the inner city not the airport. Here's what I'd do:

- Take the train from the airport to Centraal Station. It's ~15 minutes or so and drops you off right in the heart of the city.
- Stay near Centraal, there are plenty of hotels, at every level, within a few blocks.
- From your hotel, you have easy walking access to the Jordaan area, Red Light District, Anne Frank house, canal boat tours, and many other sights.
- It's further to the museums and Leidseplein, but walkable if you enjoy exploring...certainly easy by public transport.
- Find a nice place for dinner in Jordaan
- Get back on the train to AMS around 8 am (or whatever your comfort level)

Personally, I love walking around Amsterdam. I could spend a whole day doing that, just stopping to rest when I'm hungry, need a beer, or want to duck inside a shop. Which is why I wouldn't stay near the airport, get a couple extra hours of exploring in!
Thank you very much !!!

This is exactly what I'll do. Any recommendations on where to grab lunch and dinner? And does it generally get rainy in the middle of May?

I'm thinking of maybe checking out a coffeeshop but it's been a while since I smoked so that will be deifnitrly a game time decision. I definitely want to see one though lol!