FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Umbrellas
Thread: Umbrellas
View Single Post
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:27 pm
aztimm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Umbrellas

I did a forum search for, "umbrella," and the results just dealt with threads where people were asking about luggage that can hold an umbrella. I already have that.

I'm looking for a couple of good umbrellas. I keep one in my roller bag (even when not traveling, so I don't forget to put it in there when I do travel), one in my car, and always good to have a spare somewhere, just in case. With recent weather here, and having just gotten a new car, it seems time to replace my stash.

Most of what I've had in the past are the Totes fold-up, that fit nicely in a roller bag, or even a backpack. I think I picked up a pocket-sized one at Target a few years back. The one that was in my car was broken; one of those 1 broken arm versions that I thought I could keep using, but it eventually got annoying and I threw it out. The one I currently have in my car is one from a conference swag bag; on the first use with a slight breeze it turned inside, so I'm not very hopeful about its long-term use. It seems you never think of getting an umbrella until you need one (or I don't at least), but I thought I'd be a bit proactive this time.

As for size, I'd like it to fold up so it could easily fit in a roller bag or backpack. The pocket size was creative, but not very practical. I like the color black, it doesn't usually show dirt.

My first stop in searching is Amazon. This seems to be a good choice:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A2WWHFQWREC7KB

This one sounds interesting and gets good reviews. And it seems that rain and darkness often go together:
https://smile.amazon.com/linterna-au...%3A11292772011

I'm not necessarily in a hurry. I don't have any travel planned, but of course it can pop up. More immediately, I'd like to get something decent to keep in my car.
As for price, I can't imagine spending more than $20, unless it does something well beyond what it is supposed to, keep me somewhat dry.

Appreciate any tips.