FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion
Old Mar 9, 2017, 6:42 pm
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by andyr
I guess each of us will have our own "facts" on this one, depending on what we have experienced.

I'm in the "somewhere between mighty tough and well nigh impossible" camp, based on endless hours trying to find ways to burn miles for 160K RT in J instead of 750K RT in J. More than a modicum of work, and I've been doing this for a long time and have a pretty good handle on how to do it. Not a lot of tricks available when there's no U inventory anywhere most of the time.

If your experience is different, great for you. Feel free to accumulate miles through all the usual channels and I wish you the best in using them. Myself, I'm definitely in free agent territory after a 20+ year run on AA.
Look, to be clear, I'm not saying that its easy at all. But I also agree with another poster that it's not impossible either.

I think what has caused me frustration in threads like this is that my mind focuses on playing the game that actually exists, not the game I wish existed. For me personally, spending time comparing AAdvantage today to the way it used to be is pointless. It really doesn't help me travel where I want to travel.

So, like another poster alluded to, my wife and I are absolutely using our miles. But we are playing the game differently than many here are. So yes, I'll keep collecting them and I'll keep using them. That said, we are certainly considering "free agency," as you mention as well, it would be foolish not to.

Regards