FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Renting at SFO; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:26 pm
SKYEG

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by dwbf11
I picked up from the SFO Ultimate Choice/PC area Sunday night.

98% of the choices were standard Full Size selections - with the Camry, Sonata, and Malibu well represented. Looked like a standard Emerald Aisle (National) with nothing particularly nice or well-equipped.

There were three (3) cars of any interest in the entire section, which was full: a brand new Kia Optima Hybrid, a Volvo V60, and a Mercedes SLK. Would have taken the SLK, but there not enough trunk space for anything other than a soft bag. I asked a lot employee if there was any way to get a different convertible (i.e., Camaro, Mustang) or another premium-type vehicle with a larger trunk and was told no. Very strange to me that I got so much pushback when another SLK was being offered for a hefty upcharge in the "upgrade" area and there were plenty of other cars (i.e., Infiniti Q50, Mercedes C300) being offered for less than that. I was told I'd have to pay the upgrade fee to get one of those, which did not make any sense.

I took the V60.
Wow, SLK/V60 are both generous options!

The $25 PC upgrade is a pretty good deal regardless. Excited to see what all the new locations will have opening up later this month and in the summer! Will stop booking prestige and save some money by taking a free pick from PC or pay the cheap $25 upgrade. Really makes having PC status worth it for me. Instant $10 savings for upgrade and much better pickings.

So far, really liking this change. Gold Choice or whatever was uselses and I NEVER used this as the selections were awful.